Counseling for Anxiety and Depression
Is anxiety taking over your life? Does it feel like you can’t control it no matter how hard you try? Have you already tried therapy but found it ineffective? Is Depression keeping you stuck? Do you feel hopeless, powerless and helpless in life?
If this sounds like you, I’m confident I can help. My practice offers the most effective forms of treatment to aid toward wellness.
When it comes to treating both depression and anxiety disorders, research shows that therapy is usually the most effective option. Medication aids in managing the symptoms of mental illness while therapy gets at the root of what’s going to in order to create a different approach, response, awareness and understanding of yourself to help you manage life overall better. Medication is often a short term treatment approach while therapy can provide life long benefits!
Often, these are the symptoms of anxiety:
- Nervousness, restlessness or being tense
- Feelings of danger, panic or dread
- Rapid breathing or hyperventilation
- Increased or heavy sweating
- Trembling or muscle twitching
- Weakness or lethargy
- Difficulty focusing or thinking clearly about anything other than the thing you’re worried about
- Obsessions about certain ideas, a sign of obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Anxiety surrounding a particular life event or experience that has occurred in the past, a sign of post-traumatic stress disorder
These are symptoms of depression:
- Thinking about the same thing over and over and being unable to stop
- Feeling sad for long periods of time
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Loss of interest in things you once found pleasurable
- Fatigue/feeling slowed down
- Excessive worry
- Feelings of intense guilt or shame
Therapy can help to uncover the underlying causes of your worries and fears, learn how to relax, look at situations in a new, less frightening way, and develop better coping mechanisms and problem-solving skills.